I believe in free education, one that’s available to everyone; no matter their race, gender, age, wealth, etc… This masterpost was created for every knowledge hungry individual out there. I hope it will serve you well. Enjoy!
FREE ONLINE COURSES (here are listed websites that provide huge variety of courses)
- Khan Academy
- P2P U
- Academic Earth
- Stanford Online
- MIT Open Courseware
- Open Yale Courses
- BBC Learning
- Carnegie Mellon University OLI
- University of Reddit
IDEAS, INSPIRATION & NEWS (websites which deliver educational content meant to entertain you and stimulate your brain)
- Big Think
- BBC Future
- Seriously Amazing
- How Stuff Works
- Discovery News
- National Geographic
- Science News
- Popular Science
- YouTube Edu
DIY & HOW-TO’S (Don’t know how to do that? Want to learn how to do it yourself? Here are some great websites.)
FREE TEXTBOOKS & E-BOOKS
- OpenStax CNX
- Open Textbooks
- Textbook Revolution
- E-books Directory
- Books Should Be Free
- Classic Reader
- Read Print
- Project Gutenberg
- AudioBooks For Free
- Poem Hunter
- MIT Classics
- Many Books
- Open Textbooks BCcampus
- Open Textbook Library
SCIENTIFIC ARTICLES & JOURNALS
- Directory of Open Access Journals
- Wiley Open Access
- Springer Open
- Oxford Open
- Elsevier Open Access
- Open Access Library
- BBC Languages
- Learn A Language
- Foreign Services Institute
- My Languages
- Surface Languages
- OpenCulture’s Language links
2. COMPUTER SCIENCE & PROGRAMMING
- GA Dash
- Code Avengers
- The Code Player
- Code School
- Programming Motherf*?$%#
- Bucky’s room
- Learn Code the Hard Way
- Mozilla Developer Network
- Microsoft Virtual Academy
3. YOGA & MEDITATION
- Learning Yoga
- Learn Meditation
- Free Meditation
- Online Meditation
- Do Yoga With Me
- Yoga Learning Center
4. PHOTOGRAPHY & FILMMAKING
- Exposure Guide
- The Bastards Book of Photography
- Cambridge in Color
- Best Photo Lessons
- Photography Course
- Production Now
- Learn About Film
- Film School Online
5. DRAWING & PAINTING
6. INSTRUMENTS & MUSIC THEORY
- Music Theory
- Music Theory Videos
- Furmanczyk Academy of Music
- Dave Conservatoire
- Petrucci Music Library
- Justin Guitar
- Guitar Lessons
- Piano Lessons
- Zebra Keys
- Play Bass Now
7. OTHER UNCATEGORIZED SKILLS
- The Chess Website
- First Aid for Free
- First Aid Web
- Wolfram Demonstrations Project
Please feel free to add more learning focused websites.
*There are a lot more learning websites out there, but I picked the ones that are, as far as I’m aware, completely free and in my opinion the best/ more useful.
That last post was written via the tumblr app in a car, so it was a little brief. I can elaborate a little now that we have more information.
My wife has been diagnosed with Preeclampsia. Its a pregnancy complication that sharply raises blood-pressure and can effect the health of the mother’s liver and kidneys. It is fatal if untreated. There is only one cure for preeclampsia: stop being pregnant. Her pregnancy will be ending in the next few days to few weeks, depending on how lucky we are. Its not an if, its a when.
As of tomorrow, she will be 27 weeks in. That’s about three months premature.
Right now the highest priority is to keep the symptoms under control as long as physically possible, because every day in the womb is worth 4 in an incubator, and gives the baby a much higher survival chance once she’s been removed. My wife isn’t in any major danger; shes being monitored constantly and will be hospitalized until delivery, so as soon as things start getting out of control, that’s when delivery going to happen. C-section is pretty much guaranteed at this point; there’s just no time to induce natural labor once the symptoms start to accelerate, and the baby is currently head-up. Premature babies past the 25 week mark have decent survival rates, but every extra day we can get will help.
Shes been given steroids to help develop baby’s lungs faster. That’s the big problem right now. low weight, small size, inability to eat or control her body warmth, that’s all stuff that can be assisted mechanically, but if her lungs don’t work, that’s the end of it. I don’t really want to contemplate that at the moment, but its a reality that’s on the table.
Bottom line right now, best case scenario: we’ll get another week of manageable symptoms, the baby will be delivered and spend at least the next 3 months in an incubator, at which point it will be safe to bring her home, but she’ll still be at “minimum term” in regards to her overall growth.
Emotional states aside, we’re going to be running into a bit of a financial bind before too long. We were all set to coordinate pregnancy leaves and family leaves with the arrival of baby about three months from now. her arrival now means i have to stop teaching an entire quarter early so i can be around to help my wife recover and travel back and forth to the hospital to see the baby and help there too.
Additionally, pregnancy leave begins as soon as the baby is born and cant be postponed. Since the baby is being born premature, we wont actually have her at her normal, “new baby” size back at home until at least three months after shes actually entered the world. Meaning my wife’s leave is going to end right when we really need it to start. There are additional disability services to call on, but it still knocks a good three months off the overall timetable, which will probably take me off work for another quarter (the one I’d planned on taking off to begin with to be with the baby). We don’t know what the hospital bill is going to look like yet. our insurance is pretty solid, but this is a very, very long stay.
So things are a little nuts right now, on the whole.
Your well-wishes are appreciated, and if you’d like to toss a few bucks our way for general aid, I’m sure we’re going to need the help once the backlog catches up. If you’re interested, my paypal is email@example.com . I’m spending a lot of time sitting in a hospital room these days, so my at-home work time is being dedicated to making sure my game project gets as strong a launch as possible. We’re kinda counting on it to help offset some of the income we’re going to be losing at this point.
I will post updates when things move forward. thanks for reading.
Help if you can.
Chrome, please stop this.
ITS ACTUALLY THE WORST PLEASE MAKE IT STOP
ok i was confused i thought it was just my shit or soemthing becus i seen nothing about this shit
oh so it’s not just me. ok
i’m using firefox and i’m getting that too.
it’s not just chrome.
Yeah, it’s not happened to me on Firefox myself, but only Chrome hence why I blamed Chrome. :’)
ACTUALLY it’s tumblr! it’s a new, stupid option. here’s how to turn it off
this post saved my life
Check out this clip from Genndy Tartakovsky’s POPEYE Animation Test thanks to our friends at Sony Animation!
A Letter To Momo Official US Release Trailer 1 (2014)
HOW are all of gobelins shorts SO good?!
The Last Phoenix is a beautiful aerial combat adventure game where you control the last remaining Fire-bird who awakens to find the world rotting away. With the once vibrant world covered in ash and frost, you must master your abilities and fight against the decay, restoring the balance between life and death.
Exploring the world of The Last Phoenix is a joy, it really is a ridiculously beautiful place, a wonderfully crafted, vast decaying cityscape full of mystery. As the phoenix flies through the environment, frost and ash are cleared away and vegetation regrows in real time, purifying the land permanently. It features a Metroidvania style of exploration and discovery, and aerial combat against carrion and crows, with a variety of fire and light based attacks at your disposal.
Due for release on Steam this Fall, The Last Phoenix is well worth keeping an eye on (or both of them even). It’s a visually stunning experience that will make your eyes extremely happy.
Some hand references.
Redid a post by fucktonofanatomyreferencesreborn with sources because they never source anything and I don’t want to reblog that post because I don’t want to support blogs who don’t give credit to people
(No, stating that the art is ~not yours~ and ~came from elsewhere~ IS NOT PROPER CREDIT. Many of these have usernames and such on them but not every single one and you still ought to link back to the specific piece)
I couldn’t source the last one so I didn’t include it.
Great for the sci-fi writer or artist who wants to get into the mood, or just to be inspired.
Also great for just being a big dork and pretend you’re on a spaceship.
- SCI-FI Laboratory Sound
- Star Trek TNG - USS Enterprise Sleeping Quarters Background Ambience
- Timeship “Relativity” Bridge Background Ambience (Star Trek: Voyager)
- Star Trek: Voyager Astrometrics Lab Background Ambience
- Star Wars: ECHO BASE Background Ambience
- Star Trek TNG: “Warp Core” Background Ambience - USS Enterprise D
- Star Trek: TNG USS Enterprise D Engineering Warp Core Background Ambience
- Star Trek: The Next Generation USS Enterprise D “Ten Forward” Background Ambience
- Star Trek: Deep Space Nine Infirmary Background Ambience
- Star Trek: Voyager Engineering Warp Core Background Ambience
- Star Trek: TNG USS-Enterprise D Bridge Background Ambience (LONG)
- Star Trek: TNG “Cargo Bay” Background Ambience
- Star Trek: Deep Space Nine “Quark’s Bar” Ambient Background (w/ Dabo Table, crew banter, etc)
- Star Trek: Deep Space Nine “Quark’s Bar” Ambient Background
- Star Trek: Voyager Bridge Background Ambience
- Star Trek: Deep Space 9 “OPS” Background Ambience
- Star Trek: TOS USS-Enterprise Bridge Background Ambience
- Star Trek: TNG USS-Enterprise D Bridge Background Ambience
- Exoplanet - Forest Ambience Sounds, Sci Fi Insect and Fantasy Creatures
- Sci-Fi Ambient (1956-1969)
- Spaceship Sound Effects, Battlecruiser and Spacecraft Passbys
- Unknown Surface - Alien Soundscapes and Sound Effects - Sci Fi
- NASA Space Sounds
- Dark Ambient Space Music: Through The Ergosphere
- Mass Effect 2 HQ Extra - Normandy Ambience
- Mass Effect 2 - Omega Clinic / Tuchanka
- Death Star - Star Wars Environmental Background Ambience
- Star Wars SWTOR - Jedi/Sith Starship Bridge Background Ambience
- 1 HOUR | Mass Effect 2 Spaceship Background Ambience
- Star Wars - Coruscant Traffic Background Ambience
- Star Wars Ambient - Dromund Kaas / Thunderstorms
- Star Wars - Voss Environmental Ambience / Nature Sounds
- Star Wars SWTOR - Sith Sanctum Background Ambience
- Star Wars - Imperial Intelligence Headquarters Ambience
- Star Wars - Nar Shaddaa Casino Background Ambience
- Star Wars - Fleet Environmental Ambience / Bustling Chatter
- Star Wars - Nar Shaddaa Cityscape Background Ambience
This is great :D
Some of these would make wonderful soothing background noise loops. Who needs a burbling brook or gentle rain now?
I opened Enterprise-D’s bridge, cargo bay, and quarters all at once on different tabs simultaneously. Mmmm